USE OF FORCE POLICY:
Members of the Sands Point Police Department will not use Physical Force except as provided by Article 35 of the NYS Penal Law. In addition, members will:
1. Not fire warning shots.
2. Not fire shots from a moving vehicle or at a moving vehicle unless:
a. Such member or a third person is in imminent danger of death or serious physical injury. b. Such member is in a position whereby he may reasonably fire an accurate shot at the assailant and is legally justified in using deadly physical force and innocent bystanders are not likely to be injured.
3. Not use deadly physical force on the basis of a notification unless the member using such deadly physical force has independent knowledge whereby the member may reasonably believe that he/she is legally justified in using deadly physical force.
4. Not use deadly physical force on the basis of mere suspicion.
5. Not use deadly physical force in circumstances that present a grave risk of death or serious physical injury to innocent persons.
6. Not recklessly use deadly physical force.